Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Smiling, I'm in Kenya

What a welcoming sign at the airport! 

Indeed, it appears that most Kenyans smile a lot of the time.  From the missionary families hosting me to the domestic help—even the police seem to be smiling.  And now I know why…there are few places (if any) on earth where you can kiss a giraffe.  If that’s not enough to put a permanent smile on one’s face, I don’t know what is!  Though many people may choose to kiss a giraffe because it makes a great photo-op, others likely smooch with these towering creatures because of the antiseptic nature of their saliva. Read more about the Giraffe Centre: http://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/kenya/nairobi/excursions/giraffecenter.asp

And if kissing a giraffe is not enough to move those facial muscles, then playing with a 3-month-old cheetah kitten certainly will.  While being affectionate with cheetahs young and old is possible, caressing lions of any age is not recommended.  Evidently some cats can be domesticated—others never.  Also not recommended is attempting to touch warthogs (although they do have right of way in some places), buffalo, and hyenas.

This all happened here: 

http://www.kws.org/nbi-edu.html

Overall, my first full day (Tuesday in Africa) was a relaxing, get-to-know-each-other day, begun with coffee from what I have been told was the world’s best coffee shop (Nairobi Java House), continued with visits to the above local attractions, climaxed with a backyard volleyball game and completed with a dinner of Indian cuisine from a local restaurant and eaten at home. Still catching up on mild jet lag, I awoke at 2am for an hour or so, but managed to get back to sleep and am feeling rested for a new day, when I will meet with some local Nairobi homeschool families.  Do keep me in your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sooooo awesome! I love the fact you got to play with that baby cheetah :) clarification, did YOU kiss the giraffe or did you just watch others?

Unknown said...

I head heard that Giraffes were gentle! Are their lips hairy? Coarse? Like a horse's? Amazing how they have evolved with long necks for getting the best foliage and berries, and the grasses underfoot too. They look so prehistoric.

I'm delighted that you are keeping a blog!

apudewa said...

That is me in the picture kissing the giraffe. Look again! Actually I did it several times in an effort to get a good shot. After a while, it was kind of fun. Can you guess how to get the giraffe to do that?