Saturday, January 3, 2009

Off to Kenya!

Seattle Airport, S Gates, Coffeeshop:     
    Ready to board a flight for Amsterdam and then on to Nairobi, I am going to Kenya today. Why? I was invited. Actually, I was invited last year, but because of election-induced violence, the whole conference was canceled. But now Kenya is peaceful again, and the Missionaries Education conference is planned for this next week. I am following in the footsteps of one of my most revered personages, Steve Demme, who spoke at this conference two years ago. He said to me, “Definitely Go!” And I always try to take the advice of my dear friend Steve.
    I expect to be staying the first few days with the Coates family. They are long-term missionaries there, and evidently their children would like to hear some new jokes. You can see their picture here:  http://www.coatesministries.com
    Plans and Schedule:? Well, Monday is to recover from the travel; see something interesting. Tuesday – Wednesday, I’ll be doing some talks for the Kenya Homeschoolers at a church
 in Nairobi. Evidently there are about 400 homeschooling families in the country of 30 million… A few news items regarding homeschooling in Kenya can be found here: http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Kenya/default.asp
    On Thursday, we will go out to the Brackenhurst Conference Center for the main event, the East Africa Missionaries annual conference. Evidently this is a pretty post place, and a safe, beautiful Christian Conference Center, you can view photos here:  http://brackenhurst.com
    I have commenced study of a map of Africa, and now I know that Kenya is bordered by the following countries: Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, and Tanzania—all countries which at one time in my life have had terrible things happen there. Kenya is also bordered by two large bodies of water: Lake Victoria and the Indian Ocean. Now I should also study a map of Kenya itself…
What adventures lay ahead? Who knows…but tune in to Andrew’s Travel Notes for a (hopefully) day-by-day relation of this, my second International Trip!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Wow I most definitely will be following your trip. I can't wait to see pictures of Kenya. I am praying for you and missing you!
Love,
Julia

Anonymous said...

yay! dad, I am so happy you are going to blog about kenya! I should blog about rome... hmm.... :P

homeschooling tip #1: if you want your children to learn geography, take them traveling :D